Wednesday, 14 November 2012

a lightbulb flickering

hexy time

A long, long time ago I got all over excited and signed up to join in with Kelly's Joseph's Coat quilt along. I bought some (pretty pricey) wash away stabiliser (actually I bought 2 rolls - because when I bought the first roll Kelly had given us the wrong details, so I then had to go back and get the right one as well).
Then I did nothing. I didn't even start, I just had these 2 rolls of stabiliser that were mainly intended for embroidery and I don't do embroidery. I couldn't get rid of the stuff, because they'd cost me a small fortune and I was damned if I was going to just give it away.

Every now and then when I had to do some form of applique I'd use the wash away stabiliser (such as the leaves in Hexy MF) in the same way as Kelly had given instructions for, because it really is a simple and effective way to do things when you like the idea of needle turn applique but are lacking in skillage there (like me).

Right now I'm working on a secret thing and there's a lot of appliqued hexagons. I'd started sewing together my flowers in the normal way, with pre-cut papers, but yesterday when I was using my sizzix bigshot to cut some more fabric I had a genius idea (well, not exactly genius but certainly time saving seeings as I was already there with the sizzix) what if I used the 1" hexagon die to cut hexy 'paper's from the wash away stabiliser and then, instead of basting with thread, fused it onto the fabric I'd just cut with the 1.25" die and used a glue stick to stick the edges down (I actually used a regular glue stick too - not one designed for fabric, I'm feeling cheap right now).

So I did.

And it saved me a whole lot of whining when I was trying to remove the papers of single little hexagons to applique on, because the stabiliser will wash away.

Actually - Floriani stitch and wash isn't designed to completely wash away, but I expect after a few washes it would almost completely go (it hasn't had any weird effect on Hexy MF which has been washed a couple of times and the leaves look lovely, I think). You can also buy it in sheets designed to go into the printer which would be so useful for foundation piecing and english paper piecing as well as applique. I'm going to try and hunt some of those sheets down - I love that idea.

Another product that is similar (and does wash away - apparently, I haven't used it so I can't be sure) is wet n gone fusible. I think it's lighter weight. Maybe someone has used it and can shed some light? I have a feeling that is the other roll I bought. I have no clue where I put it though (somewhere in the horrible mess that is my fabric closet)

There's a PDF guide to the stabilisers floriani make here.
Does anyone know of any other makes of fusible wash away stabilisers that are reasonably priced and a similar weight to floriani stitch and wash? I'd love to try some others out and compare the results.


EDIT; LOOK LOOK LOOK - you can buy pre-cut hexies on floriani from Hugs n Kisses (so you don't need to go buy a sizzix to cut your own!) and from January they'll be stocking the letter sized sheets for you use in your printer (and already sell floriani on the roll, in case you were thinking of buying some to try out!)





16 comments:

Anonymous said...

your pincushion is ah-mahhhh-zinggg! it makes me drool all over my keyboard. damn, woman!

Nicole Follow the White Bunny said...

You're so clever! I know nothing about stabilizers though, I'm a very unstable crafty person ;)

Karen said...

Why is it that stabilizers, interfacings and such are so much $? I use a non-wash away for applique but should check for wash away as am sure it is a better and softer result. Cannot wait to see this hexy project!

Danielle said...

Stitch n wash is my favourite method of appliqué. Great idea to use it in EPP too. Belinda AusBelle brought these to my attention only a few weeks ago - http://www.hugsnkisses.net/index.php/shop/other-thingys/applique-paper-precuts
Pretty cool!! Can't wait to see what you're up to with the hexies :)

kathy l. said...

Have you ever tried freezer paper piecing? You cut your shape and then iron it on...very cheap and easy.
Kathy L.

Anna said...

Great idea for the EPP!

Marla said...

Nobel Quilt Prize. Right here. But seriously, nice idea.

Esch House Quilts said...

Sounds like a genius idea to me!

Kris from Duke Says Sew What said...

Seems it would be a heck of a lot faster than stitching them, pulling papers out, and pressing! Your emergency EPP bag may change dramatically!

Katy Cameron said...

Genius idea!

marcella said...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I have the very same roll in my stash and for the very same reason. I really appreciate you sharing how you are using it up because it is one big, expensive roll of fusible to just be sitting there. Hexagons I love! thank you again!

Shannon said...

You are a serious genius and I hope you rewarded yourself handsomely for coming up with this! I am totally switching over!

KarrieLyne said...

Ha! I bought my roll for the same QAL. I think I did one block. Thanks for the tip on doing hexies this way! I will definitely have to give it a go.

luckycharm said...

Stabilizer schmabilzer. Talk about that PIN CUSHION!!!!! Awe Some!

Artsy-Craftsy Ivy said...

I know this is an old post, but I was looking for it because I know you said great things about Floriani. They sell it at my lqs (I think it was $32 for the roll and $37 for the sheets, but I could be wrong). I couldn't bring myself to buy it. I may, though, after reading this post. I've heard that Sharon Schamber makes a similar product, though I wonder if the price is similar. And someone else said that Rinsaway, which is available at Jo-Ann's, is very similar. I don't know, though. Who could justify buying Floriani stablizer at a quilt shop with all that marvy fabric? I just don't know.

Artsy-Craftsy Ivy said...

And another thing! :) I think the Floriani or some similar product (someone told me Sharon Schambers' product it similar but I read on her site that it creates a kind of trapunto look in your appliques) would be perfect for circles. You can use your Sizzix (and I my Accuquilt Go) to cut circles out of the stabilizer, cut your fabric circles at least a quarter inch larger, glue stick around the whole thing, and then needleturn or machine stitch it down. For many other shapes, it's not necessary; I often use freezer paper for applique. I cut out my shape with no seam allowance from freezer paper, cut out the fabric with the seam allowance, iron the freezer paper to the top of the fabric so it's covering the pretty side, glue the fabric to my background fabric, and then turn the seam allowance under as I go. It's a great alternative. I would just use the floriani for pieces that are too cumbersome to cut otherwise. That's my two cents! :)

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive